Monday, March 16, 2009

Journal - Week 3

Finally, after 4 weeks of going on about my project and all it will be, only today have I actually clarifyed in my mind what my project is all about and what it will be! All I had to do was slightly change the phrasing of my project overview.

It sounds small, but I knew something just wasn't quite right. It is like when you're trying to recall something and it is on the tip of your tongue but you cannot get it, or trying to look at something still beneath a fast running stream, in other words it is frustrating! I feel I can't move forward until I feel comfortable with where I am...so I was stuck.

Maybe my mind was cluttered from researching the effects of clutter on the internet and getting 20,400 results. Sometimes it is good to take a step back from the thousands of opinions and theories and directions that bombard you and just plainly and simply say what you're trying to do.

After thinking about the diverse array of people GCT is trying to reach, in conjunction with the vast spectrum of online social media, it would be silly to try evaluate and conclude on the most effective. Like my target markets, different social media have different characteristics and therefore attract different groups of people. By understanding each sphere beneath the big umbrella, I can find the most effective ways of using the channel to reach the targets amongst the larger group of users for each sphere.

I feel not only is this project objective more realistic, it is also more applicable and useful. With the realm of social media evolving so quickly, settling for one channel will eventually lead to a dead end. So I will investigate the different characteristics of users and the strengths and weaknesses of each broad category of social media, that way I will beable to make recommendations on how to use each one, rather than try and determine the best one and how to use only it.

Now I have that clearer in my mind I am working on developing the structure of my project. I asked in class last week "whats the guts of my assignment?" everyone seemed to beable to label their project as market research guts, marketing plan guts, communication plan guts etc, but my teacher looked at me and said she actually wasn't quite sure. Being someone thats methodical and precise, not having an outline that tells me to insert text here, i still feel a bit lost. Hopefully tomorrow I will have it all little more sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment