Thursday, June 11, 2009

Journal - Week 11

WEDNESDAY, 20TH MAY, 2009

Well this week has been quite the wake up call, considering in class yesterday I looked at our course outline and realised the final report is due the week after next…eeeek!.Though for some reason, when ever I feel stressed and have little time to complete something I always get real sleepy and nap all the time. It’s some physiological form of procrastination or avoidance which I have no control over which is annoying.
We also had our poster critique session yesterday which I found really nerve racking. Getting up in front of everyone and showing your work so that people can cut it to shreds is so scary. As the class went on everyone’s posters were so impressive and professional that I got so nervous. I was hoping I could just sink into my chair and they would skip over me. My poster was pretty and colourful with bright blues and pinks so I was expecting Sharon to tell me it wasn’t serious enough and looked too fun. Fortunately it went ok which was a relief. I absolutely love doing creative stuff like making that poster. I only spent a few hours on it but had so much fun. It made me value having experience in design and using Photoshop because otherwise it would be pretty hard. Every ones work was great though, I think that because everyone does such a high standard of work that we all motivate each other to do better. Katie’s work is particularly good, she’s one person that I think will go a long way.
I also applied for a job this week. An agency in Brisbane called ‘XCOM Media’ is after a social media marketing coordinator, which is pretty much exactly what I am researching. They are after someone with a years experience so I’m not expecting an interview or anything, but I thought it’s worth a shot. My supervisor Tim recommended I go for it. I was thinking about how much I have learnt from him and realised a little thankyou letter really won’t cut it. He has taught me so incredibly much ranging from tips on working more efficiently and organising things better, to getting me contract work, recommending me for jobs, being a referee, helping me with my project, throwing me in the deep end with jobs, emailing me journal articles and links to good websites. Every day I go in there we always have lunch together and I just drill him with thousands of questions about the industry and my project and he answers all of them so well. I just feel so fortunate to have such a great mentor, its changed my entire career direction because I had never really experienced the digital side of marketing through uni subjects. I was actually considering doing an IT degree because I am interested in digital technology, so digital marketing combines both my need for a creative outlet, as well as the more technical side of things.
Well busy weeks ahead considering I have done ‘sfa’ in terms of my research findings and results section. It’ll be fine as long as I stop napping, implement a “No Napping” rule!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment